** above link is to the online petition.
For info and to register your interest in a Tempe Downs horse, please contact via email at email@example.com
Please sign this petition, and help get the governmental bodies look at implementing some realistic legistlation dealing with ongoing population management of wild/feral animals. It is such a shame that government initiatives are not employed for the indigenous communities to gain from custodianship of areas like this.
"The WHSA proposes that Government funding be directed into the development and implementation of sustainable long-term population management strategies which include:
- training programs for the Traditional Owners to effectively manage the horse population;
- the development of infrastructure such as fencing around key water sources and holding yards facilities;
- an annual muster of horses for selective culling to bring the horse population into a more sustainable number and reduce the impact on the natural environment;
- ongoing trapping of horses on water sources using a method known as ‘passive trapping’ whereby horses being lured into permanent and/or portable yards with feed and/or water, gaining access through a one-way gate which allows the horses to enter but prevents them from leaving. Passive trapping is considered a more humane method of capture as it places much less stress on the horse as opposed to mustering with helicopters and/or motorbikes.;
- identification of commercial opportunities of captured horses;
- and ultimately to facilitate the selection of horses for training, rehabilitation and rehoming."
Proud Members Of
The Waler Horse Society of Australia.
(click to go to)